Week 3: Communicating via Socials with Brands

A customer's communication with a business can end up creating an evangelist for the company, or an enemy of the brand.  I recently booked a trip to Cabo San Lucas on Alaska Air.  I was hoping to bring my surfboard and I had read a blog post that Alaska was now only charging a regular baggage fee of $25 for a checked surfboard.  I wanted to confirm that the baggage fee was indeed this low so I called.  After a short wait of a few minutes, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to speak to a representative who clearly and pleasantly answered my question.  Conversely,  a few weeks ago, I called Intuit with a question I had regarding my subscription to Quickbooks Online.  I had called Intuit before with a technical question and had been pleasantly surprised with the high level of customer service and technical knowledge.  Unfortunately, on this call, I was connected with somebody who was difficult to understand, possibly due to a language barrier.  The most disappointing part of this call was that the woman helping me seemed to lack any real technical knowledge of the Quickbooks program.  During the call, I was frequently placed on hold while the woman followed up with her technical support team.  Considering this, I've concluded that the person that you're engaging is a truly important part of the company.
Social media certainly makes it easier to get noticed.  Since many people are already on the platform, having a social media presence makes it easier for a potential customer to interact with your brand, simply due to accessibility.  Social media also makes it easier to hold a brand accountable.  A dissatisfied customer can tag a company and then summarize their complaint in the form of a blog, photo, video, or other form of media.  Most successful brands are constantly monitoring their social media accounts and general internet presence, so a customer with a problem is more likely to have their issue addressed, rather than the company receiving a potential digital black eye.
Probably my most noteworthy experiences communicating with a business via social media was when one of my Instagram photos was noticed by the Maui Jims sunglasses brand.  The company messaged me and asked me if I would allow them to use my photo for their brand promotion.  I was flattered, however, the caveat was that Maui Jims had commented a URL with their terms, instructing me to tag #accept if I agreed.  Unfortunately, this URL was not in the form of a live link and I was unable to view their terms.  I wrote Maui Jim to follow-up, but was ignored.  The lesson to Maui Jims is: accessibility is paramount.  Furthermore, it's important to follow-up with somebody once you've engaged them, otherwise it's better to not engage them at all.  
I think that it's important to follow up on comments, whether positive or negative.  Following up would certainly depend on the volume of comments.  If there was a large quantity, I wouldn't try to reply to all of them, but instead, identify ones which I felt deserved a more thoughtful reply.  Importantly, if I were to reply to a negative comment, I would make sure to read the comment, then think about it before issuing a response.  It is important to avoid a battle of raw emotions.  
I applaud businesses who are at the vanguard of social media, as truly, a digital presence is paramount.

Comments

  1. Hi Dustin,

    Very informative post. I liked the example of Maui Jim sunglasses, even though its a famous brand if they cannot maintain social media properly, customers are going to notice that and they will be branded as unresponsive company. That is a very good example of how company's can ruin themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I really enjoy reading your blog, especially about the phone calls to the Alaska airlines and Intuit and your experiences with them. I have found myself in many similar situations.
    I agree that a customer service representative is a very important part of a company , they are the voice of the business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote clear description examples of your customer service experiences. I wish Maui Jim was more reliable and specific so you could've been featured. Customer service is defintely key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your personal experiences were really interesting. It's crazy how a person can experience such great customer service one time and have it be terrible the next. The service completely depends on the person delivering it and the company trusting them enough to deliver the service they wish to be represented by. Proper training needs to be given to the person they want to have deal with customer inquiries.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1A: My Template

Week 4: Aesthetics, Design, and Branding _ Website Analysis