Week 10: Categories

Categories are an important aspect of any online presence.  By tagging within certain categories, somebody is essentially optimizing his search engine presence and making it easier to be found within sub-sections of whatever genre he is operating in.  In the case of DustintheWind Productions, focusing on travel and lifestyle is too broad.  Many travel bloggers and vloggers tend to focus on a specific category such as southeast Asia, budget travel, van travel, surfing, etc.  The market is indeed competitive and having a unique angle is important.  A few categories in which I think I can have an impact include:

1.) Latin America: a lot of my travels have taken me throughout south and central America.  Not only are people interested in traveling these regions, but the people who live in some of these countries are actively consuming and engaging with various social media platforms.  By categorizing my content within the Latin American/ Spanish-speaking/ particular country, I can better organize content and engage people who are truly interested in the region.

2.) Gay Travel: being gay, I often find myself looking for more information about the gay community in certain areas.  I think focusing on the gay community throughout Latin America would be a very interesting category; furthermore, this could help grow my viewership.  I think people might find the perspective of a tall, caucasian-American gay man interesting. 

3.) Gay-Straight Alliance: Many of my adventures include a group of mixed orientations.  Even though it is 2018, I think it is important to keep visibility between straight and gay people as they accomplish new and interesting things together.  Furthermore, this category is good clickbait, ex: Gay-Straight Squad Explores Costa Rica!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1A: My Template

Week 3: Communicating via Socials with Brands

Week 4: Aesthetics, Design, and Branding _ Website Analysis