Week 15: Google Analytics

Google Analytics provides a wealth of information regarding a site's traffic and the people who are accessing the site.  For a business that is interested in cultivating a social media following, this type of information can be very useful. 

Similar to looking at the number of likes that an Instagram post receives, the first thing that catches my attention on google analytics is the pageviews section.  Everybody wants to see how many views his content is receiving; how many people are coming to your page?  Other helpful features include the average time a user spends on your site, and which parts of the site he viewed and for how long; by knowing these things I can strengthen parts of my content that may not be receiving much attention, or consider reasons these sections might not be receiving attention.  For example, a certain part of my website might not be receiving much attention because it may have poor visibility to the user, or even something wrong like a malfunctioning link.

Another interesting insight offered by Google Analytics includes the bounce rate, or the percentage of people who navigate away from my site/ content after viewing only one page.  This is also an interesting thing to know because it identifies a weakness: the site or content is not sufficiently captivating people to make them want to explore more of what I am offering.  This information can also help shape goals: I want to increase page views and time spent on the site while decreasing the bounce rate.  

Finally, knowing one's audience is a key part of creating engaging content.  Google's audience section provides important and actionable metrics such as user's city, country, language, computer system, mobile device operating system, and even mobile device screen resolution.  This is of huge importance.  If I am creating content in English and notice a fair amount of Spanish language users based in say, Mexico, then I will certainly want to begin creating content that includes this demographic, and does so in a way that can foster growth.  Making content that is in Spanish and that focuses on Mexico would be a good way to achieve such growth.  Furthermore, knowing about a user's operating system is important if I wanted to parlay my following into promoting an application.  If most of my users are using IOS, then I certainly wouldn't want to be marketing an app that is only available for Android.  Additionally, when creating content, having insight into the user's screen resolution is critical so that the content can be tailored to the screen resolution that is employed by most users.

By considering these insights, I can set better goals and see how well I'm meeting these goals by checking in with my analytics. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1A: My Template

Week 3: Communicating via Socials with Brands

Week 4: Aesthetics, Design, and Branding _ Website Analysis